If you hate the scams and fraud on Ebay like I do please give a ''Yes'' vote to this guide at the bottom of the page. Your vote will help others to see this guide and avoid getting ripped off.
I was in the market for the R7 Superquad and started searching on Ebay. The SuperQuad retails for $399.00 in the golf retail stores. I found several "Buy Now" deals for as little as $250.00. There were even people selling heads only for less than $200.00.
Most if not all of the auctions with heads only were from China or Hong Kong. The sellers had a mixture of feedback with 1 or 2 out of 10 negative due to fake driver. The sellers usually do not have a great number of feedbacks.
The selling method has changed somewhat lately with the fakes being sold by users registered in the USA but still heads only. The other problem now is there have been hundreds if not thousands of fake drivers sold to USA buyers. These buyers are now selling the fakes once they find out. Here is a list of what to look for and how to avoid being sold a fake.
1. Avoid auctions from China and Hong Kong.
2. Avoid any auction for driver head only.
3. Check sellers other items for sale. If they are selling only R7 Superquads avoid this seller.
4. Ask seller to provide the serial number. If they do not respond avoid the seller. If they provide a serial number you can email Taylor Made customer service and ask if the serial number is legit. Also ask if the serial number has been registered already.
5. Don't be fooled by pictures. The pictures on a bad auction will not be the driver they are sending.
6. Avoid sellers that are new to Ebay or have really less than 100 + feedbacks selling golf equipment.
7. Avoid any auction for a driver listed in a non golf category. They use this tactic to avoid Ebay dumping the auction.
8. Avoid any 1 day auction with a "Buy Now".
A few of ways to detect the fakes are:
1. The weights are aluminum instead of tungsten. I have even heard that some are plastic.
2. No serial number on the hosel.
3. Thin spray painted finish instead of powder coated.
I avoided my fake from a USA seller when I asked for the serial number. I had already won the auction. The seller sent me an email after the auction claiming the driver was damaged. I am sure it was someone trying to unload the mistake on me.