Hi! Ready to get lots more bang for your video game buck? Then, start thinking about the latest trend - multiple arcade video games in one cabinet, generically known as a Multicade. That is right. Now, you can have several, not just one, classic games in your video game cabinet.
Instead of only, for example, Ms Pac-Man in your Ms Pac-Man game cabinet; now, you can have Ms Pac-Man, plus Galaga, and dozens more classics all in your one cabinet.
One of the better known multi-classic games is the Ms Pac-Man Galaga Reunion arcade game. You can buy it new today for around $2,500.00. Or, you could upgrade your game for a whole lot less. Plus, instead of just two classic games, you would be playing Ms Pac-Man, Galaga, Frogger, Donkey Kong, and dozens more of your favorites (see the complete list below)!
There are lots of possibilities for multiple game play available in the marketplace. Here is a brief description of a few common ones:
1. Multicade. The original Multicade system consists of a computer and game discs. However, the manufacturer is no longer in business. But, the system is still around, and there may be a new company that has taken over the brand.
The name Multicade is now commonly used to describe almost all multigame setups.
2. Ultracade. Ultracade is another multi-game platform featuring multiple classic arcade games emulated on PC hardware running proprietary operating system and emulation code. The company is no longer in business. And, the name Ultracade is also sometimes used generically.
3. MAME. The MAME (multiple arcade machine emulator) is a computer system with the capability to emulate practically every arcade video game.
4. Williams Classics. Several of the classic Williams games (Joust, Defender, Stargate) are available in one dedicated cabinet.
5. Ms Pac-Man Galaga Reunion. This is a great dedicated game featuring two great classics. The game's PCB (printed circuit board) could be installed into any cabinet, including a Ms Pac-Man cabinet, or a Galaga.
6. Multiple JAMMA PCBs. It is possible to install multiple JAMMA game pcbs into one cabinet, and switch between them.
Read my guide, Understanding the JAMMA PCB and Edge Connector Pinout, for more info.
7. Modified Ms Pac-Man. It is possible to modify a Ms Pac-Man PCB to be able to also play Pac-Man, and in either the fast or slow version of both.
8. Galaga Ms Pac-Man Switcher. It is possible to add either game PCB to the other game cabinet, and be able to switch between the two.
These are some of the more common solutions for multiple game play. And, there are many others, especially when you consider the horizontal scrolling fighter games (Street Fighter, etc.).
Which brings up an important distinction to understand about arcade game cabinets.
An important cabinet distinction:
The classic games like Ms Pac-Man and Galaga are played using a vertically mounted monitor. While there are some classics like Joust, almost all the modern fighting games like Street Fighter use a horizontally mounted monitor.
For starters, cabinets for the two monitor types are built differently. The horizontal cabinet will be a few inches wider than the vertical cabinet.
Most importantly, the game types are not immediately interchangeable between the cabinet types. It is possible, for example, to modify a horizontal cabinet to accept a vertical mount monitor, but the reverse is usually not possible.
The point is that the style (horizontal or vertical) of the cabinet matters.
My Favorite Multiple Classic Game Solution
Today, the most bang for your video gaming buck can be had with a 60-in-1 JAMMA PCB cabinet conversion. It is possible to take almost any vertical mount monitor cabinet (Ms Pac-Man, Galaga, etc.), and install the hardware that will allow the play of 60 great classic games in one cabinet.
And, since the finished game would be a JAMMA standard installation, the hardware is easily servicable and will be around for a long time. Furthermore, a JAMMA cabinet is versatile (depending on the control panel configuration) in that it can accept many of the other of 100's of JAMMA game PCBs.
Here are the 60-in-1 classic games:
- Ms Pac-Man
- Donkey Kong
- Donkey Kong Junior
- Donkey Kong 3
- Dig Dug
- Mr. Do
- Space Invaders
- Galaga 3
- Tank Battalion
- Millipede **
- Burger Time
- JR Pacman
- Centipede **
- Time Pilot
- Super Cobra
- Space Panic
- Super Breakout **
- New Rally X
- Arkanoid **
- Juno First
- Mr. Do's Castle
- Moon Cresta
- Pinball Action
- Super Pac-Man
- Bomb Jack
- Shao-Lin's Road
- King & Balloon
- Van-Van Car
- Pac-Man Plus
- Dig Dug 2
- Gun Smoke
- The End
- 1943 Kai
- Congo Bongo
- Jumping Jack
- Ms. Pac-Man (Fast Mode)
- Pac-Man (Fast Mode)
- Galaga (Fast Fire Mode)
- Jr. Pac-Man (Fast Mode)
- Pac-Man Plus (Fast Mode)
**Indicates a game that requires a trackball to play. Installation of a trackball would be determined by the size and configuration of the control panel. So, these games might not be feasible for some cabinet types with smaller control panels.
Check out my eBay store - RSteveMcCollum - for more info about my multi game upgrade service.