To best protect your gold & gem / diamond studded jewelery, avoid wearing them while using chlorine based household chemicals and while swimming in a chlorine treated swiming pool. On the molecular level gold reacts with Chlorine. This reaction causes gold particles to be stolen by Chlorine. The end result is with repeat exposure to chlorine, the surface of your jewelery will look pitted and dull, and also this reaction in time can eat away if you will, and weaken the prongs that hold the gems and diamonds in your jewelery.
Please kindly rate this guide if you found it to be useful.