Strawberry Banana Smoothie
INGREDIENTS (serves 2)
1 cup (250ml) fresh or frozen strawberries cut in half.
1 cup (250ml) chopped banana.
1 cup (250ml) orange juice
1 cup (250ml) plain yogurt
1 tsp. (5ml) honey
In blender, combine all ingredients. Process until smooth.
Variation: Replace banana with seeded peeled watermelon, and orange juice with ½ cup cranberry juice
For the coffee lover, here is a great recipe that combines espresso with cherry vanilla ice cream, chocolate, whipped cream and cherry sauce. A match made in heaven….
Makes about 4 servings (depending on the size of the glass)
1/2 oz. of any dark chocolate of your choice
1/2 oz. 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate
2 scoops (about 2 tablespoonfuls) of vanilla powder base (available at most grocery stores)
6 shots of good quality espresso
1 pint cherry vanilla ice cream – softened to semi liquid or liquid
16 ozs of ice (small cubes are best) chocolate sauce (available at most grocers) whipped cream (canned is easiest to use) cherry sauce (available at most grocers) glasses for serving
1. In a blender, place the chocolate chunks, 2 scoops of vanilla base, espresso, cherry vanilla ice cream and ice cubes
2. Cover blender with lid and blend for approximately 7-8 seconds or until well combined
3. Allow to rest for a few seconds
4. Meanwhile, take your glasses and starting just below the rim, lace the insides by squeezing out a bead of chocolate sauce whilst twirling the glass around
5. Pour the frappe into the glasses, leaving about a ¾” to 1” inch space at the top of the glass
6. Top with whipped cream
7. Drizzle a little cherry sauce over the top
Note: Substitute strawberry or raspberry for the cherry, or use your imagination and make your own combinations.
Guide created: 28/03/12